Children can benefit from consuming jaggery instead of sugar due to several reasons:
- Nutritional Value: Jaggery is a natural sweetener made from unrefined sugar cane or palm sap. It retains more nutrients compared to refined sugar. It contains iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and other minerals, making it a healthier choice for children.
- Digestive Health: Jaggery has a high fiber content, which aids in digestion and prevents constipation. It stimulates bowel movements and helps maintain a healthy digestive system in children.
- Slow Release of Energy: Jaggery is a complex carbohydrate that provides a slow and sustained release of energy. This can prevent sudden spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels, providing a more stable and consistent energy supply for growing children.
- Immunity Boost: Jaggery has certain antioxidants and minerals that can strengthen the immune system and help children fight off infections and illnesses more effectively.
Now, let’s discuss why millet cookies with jaggery powder are healthier than maida cookies available in the market:
- Nutrient-rich: Millets are whole grains that are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They provide essential nutrients like iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and B vitamins. By using millet flour in cookies, you can enhance the nutritional value of the snack.
- Lower Glycemic Index: Millet flour has a lower glycemic index compared to refined wheat flour (maida). Foods with a lower glycemic index release sugar into the bloodstream more slowly, preventing sudden spikes in blood sugar levels. This can be beneficial for children, especially those with diabetes or those who need to manage their blood sugar levels.
- Gluten-free Option: Millet flour is naturally gluten-free, making it suitable for children with gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Maida cookies, on the other hand, are made from refined wheat flour, which contains gluten.
- Higher Fiber Content: Millet flour contains higher amounts of dietary fiber compared to maida. Fiber promotes healthy digestion, regulates bowel movements, and helps children feel fuller for longer periods, reducing excessive snacking.
- Preservative and Additive-free: Homemade millet cookies with jaggery powder are generally free from artificial preservatives, flavors, and additives that are commonly found in commercially produced maida cookies. This makes them a healthier and more natural option for children.
It’s important to note that while millet cookies with jaggery may be a healthier alternative to maida cookies, moderation is still key. They should be consumed as part of a balanced diet, and portion sizes should be controlled to avoid excessive calorie intake.