Sweeteners obtained from natural sources such as fruits, plants, honey etc have been a crucial part of the human diet for ages. Such sweeteners tend to have a low glycemic index which means their potential to increase blood glucose level is low as compared to other artificial sweeteners. However, the advancement and growth of the consumer and food industry led to the replacement of most of these natural sweeteners with Refined Sugar and it gradually became the most popular sweetening element.
On average, any Indian consumes around 19 kg of sugar in a year which is approximately 10 spoons per day. Consumption of such a considerable amount of sugar in a day can lead to a sudden surge in blood glucose level due to its quick absorption. Constant high blood glucose levels can increase the risk of diabetes, heart problems, fatty liver, depression, weight gain, acne, etc among individuals.
Sugar is said to provide ‘empty calories’ nutritionally which means calories with zero nutritional benefits. So it is important to go back to basics and adopt natural sweeteners which can give a plethora of health benefits for the same calories.
Here is the list of some natural sweeteners:
- JAGGERY – Jaggery is said to have high nutritional value and is a healthy sweetener and natural substitute to refined or cane sugar. Enriched in calcium, iron, and other minerals, it aids digestion and helps in flushing out toxins from the body. It improves immunity and helps in regulating body temperature. Adya Organics Date Palm Jaggery is 100% organic, vegan, and preservatives-free. This healthy sweetener can be added to a range of recipes such as teas, lemon water, cakes, Sandesh etc
- HONEY – Honey has been in existence since the advent of human existence and it continues to be an important ingredient in most of our households. Organic Honey comprises an array of nutrients and is super rich in antioxidants. It is a natural immunity booster that helps improve gut health and aids digestion. Adya Organics Multi Flora Honey is 100% pure, organic, and raw honey which can be a natural and healthy substitute for sugar.
- COCONUT SUGAR – Coconut sugar is obtained from the sap of coconut palm and is rich in iron, zinc, calcium, and potassium. It has a low glycemic index and contains healthy fats which prevent high cholesterol and heart diseases.
- DATES – Enriched in proteins, fibers, minerals, and vitamins; dates have been used as a natural sweetener since ancient times. It is believed that their limited consumption doesn’t spike blood glucose levels in diabetic patients making them the suitable healthier alternative to sugar. They also improve heart health, promote brain health, and strengthen bones.
- MAPLE SYRUP – Maple syrup is obtained from the sap of maple trees and is rich in zinc, calcium, iron, potassium, and antioxidants. It promotes skin health, fight inflammatory diseases, and reduces the growth of cancer cells.